What are they?
Enemas are an ancient healing technique. It involves allowing a steady flow of pure, body temperature water into the colon. This is an invaluable naturopathic technique that can assist the body’s healing process in several ways. It creates movement in the colon, encouraging it to eliminate waste and stored faeces. The flow of water stimulates the reflex points within the colon, which correspond to other areas of the body and therefor will release stagnation in those areas too. Enemas also stimulates movement and release of mucous from within the lymphatic system and finally the colon will absorb the water from an enema far quicker than water swallowed and so can improve cellular hydration quicker and more effectively.
Why should I do enemas?
· They can be used when your bowel is showing signs of constipation.
· They are used to keep the movement and release of toxicity during a detoxification program.
· They can help cleanse the lymphatic system when it is showing signs of stagnation such as sinus blockage, swollen glands, excess mucous as in colds and flus.
· Enemas can be really useful when wanting to improve body and cellular hydration.
What do I need to do an enema?
· A gravity feed enema bag or bucket
· A two pint jug
· The fluid that you are going to use for the enema, which is basically pure, filtered water always at body temperature, but will vary depending on the effect you want the enema to have. You may want to reduce the quantity of water used if you are finding the enema uncomfortable. It is sometimes easier if you are submerged in a warm bath to relax abdominal muscles whilst doing an enema or retaining a retention enema.
· A pillow
· Something to protect the surface you are lying on from getting wet, just a precaution.
· Lubrication – you can use olive oil, coconut oil or aloe vera gel.
· A hook or a shelf for the enema bag to hang/sit on
· A clock for timing
How do I do an enema?
· Prepare the enema fluid. It is wise to do a water enema before doing any other type of enema so that you can clear the bowel in preparation.
· Fill the enema bag/bucket, making sure the tap on the valve at the end of the tube is closed.
· Then open the tap and let the fluid start to run through the tube, allowing the fluid to flow out until you are sure to have released any air bubbles then close the tap. The bucket/bag needs to be raised to allow gravity to pull the water through.
· Lubricate your anal area.
· Prepare the space you are going to lay down on, which can be the floor, the sofa or the bed, wherever is comfortable and make sure it is protected. For the first enema it is probably best to do it in or near the bathroom. Use the pillow to support your head.
· Insert the nozzle and open the valve. Massage your abdomen gently as the fluid enters.
· Once the bucket/bag has emptied, close the valve and remove the nozzle.
· At this point you either release the enema fluid immediately by getting up and sitting on the toilet or you hold the enema fluid if you are doing a retention enema.
When not to do an enema?
· Do not use this technique if there is a prolapsed organ in the pelvic area or if hemorrhoids are a problem.
· It is not advised to do an enema when you are hungry.
· Avoid stimulating enemas (coffee especially) before bed.
Additions of other elements to the enema water can assist in various situations. Here are some examples:
Why should I use Aloe vera? Aloe vera helps to soothe and calm an inflamed intestinal lining, it has an anti-inflammatory effect on the mucosa of the colon.
How do I use it? Put anywhere from 1 to 10 tablespoons, depending on how strong an effect you want into 2 pints of filtered water at body temperature (it is often best to start with a small amount and build up so you can monitor the results and find what works best for you). Use this as your enema fluid and hold it for 15 minutes whilst massaging the colon and then expel.
How should I feel? After an aloe vera enema you can feel quite calm, refreshed and often feel quite positive.
Why should I use coffee? Coffee, when used in an enema has a different effect on the body than when it is being consumed as a beverage. In an enema coffee is absorbed into the live via the hemorrhoid vein. Once in the liver, the pharmacological agent within coffee causes the liver to contract and squeeze out it’s toxic bile, which is then excreted, once the coffee enema is released.
This makes coffee enemas one of the most effective and powerful naturopathic treatments for any detoxification and healing program, as it ensures the release of toxicity and cleanses the liver so that it can continue its role of detoxification with more effectiveness. It is a great pain reliever and is particularly effective for migraines.
You do need to make sure that you are consuming an alkalising diet, full of green vegetables, so that you are ingesting lots of electrolytes: coffee enemas will increase the excretion of potassium and magnesium, which are necessary alkalising electrolytes. If you have adrenal issues, kidney stress be careful not to overuse coffee enemas.
How do I use it? Place a rounded tablespoon of organic medium/dark roast ground coffee into a saucepan (non-aluminium) with half a pint of filtered water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes (lid off) and then sieve off the coffee grounds and keep the liquid for the enema. Add water to the coffee to make it up to about 2 pints of body temperature fluid. I would recommend that you do a water enema first, to clean out the bowel, and then do the coffee enema making sure to retain the coffee for about 15 to 20 minutes, which is long enough for the body’s entire blood volume to pass through the liver at least 5 times.
How should I feel? The effects can vary from person to person. If you are in pain, you will feel relief from it much like a pain killer, if you are feeling foggy headed you will feel clearer and calm, if you are feeling sluggish and stagnant you will feel refreshed and inspired. Sometimes you will have a deep sense of peace and may even want to sleep, or you may feel energised and motivated. Often, in very deep toxic cases, you may need to do another enema the next day to keep the toxicity moving out of the body, but always make sure you are eating and juicing plenty of green vegetables, cutting out stress in your diet.
Why should I do a flaxseed tea enema? These are also good for soothing the membrane of the colon and more effective at rehydration than water alone. These may be useful to you from the start in terms of hydrating your cells and soothing the central nervous system.
How do I do it? Make the linseed tea and then add water to it until you have 2 pints (1 litre) of body temperature water which is fluid enough to pass through the enema tube, if not add more water. Hold the flaxseed tea enema for 20 minutes and then expel. You can even do it before going to bed and if you are experienced with enemas and know your body well, you can even retain it all through the night.
How should I feel? You should feel relaxed afterwards and feel tension, stress and anxiety lifting from you.
Enemas are some of the techniques that I integrate into the personalised naturopathic health programs that I create for my clients. For more information about how you can have a health plan created for you click here.